Monday, December 14, 2009

Transplant done

Wednesday was last day of chemo. They let John rest on Thursday, except for an IV drip of course. Friday, John got his stem-cells back.

We were told the first five days after the transplant were gonna be rough. It cause the blood count to drop drastically. No white cells, so he is vulnerable to catch anything. Hence, he wears a mask pretty much all the time now, including anyone else who goes into the room. Red cells and Hemoglobin drop so that makes him even more tired and fatigued.

Not much of an appetite. Chemo caused his mouth to become raw. So swallowing/chewing/etc isn't much fun. Chemo caused his mouth to be very dry also so that makes it difficult to talk. And then there's the need to shuffle to the bathroom often. note I said "shuffle". Still has neuropathy in his feet/lower legs and hands. (numbness, loss of sensation).

But he's hanging in there. That German stubbornness is good for something.

Kay has an awful cold, so she came back to Ludington to get better. With this time being the worst for John to catch a virus or bug, it was best. So please keep her in your thoughts also.

signed,
Michelle

2 comments:

  1. Hey hang in there Uncle John. You are a tough one and can handle this. Hope you feeling better soon, Aunt Kay too. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi guys, this is Denise Sanford (one of Pamelas good friends). We've talked a lot lately over the news and updates on John, plus I had a brain tumor removed 11/9 in Novi (outside of Detroit). She LOVES her Daddy very much and I know how hard this is for the entire family.

    I know too with Mom being sick it must feel hard not to be there with him. I have kept the entire family in my prayers as the same as Pamela has done for me with all my difficulties.

    I'm finding I enjoy my blog...it kind of lets you vent a little and share plenty of info.

    I do have another question...Pamela told me, but I forgot....what exact type of Lymphoma does John have? My grandma Pat Rutowski (think yous know her, maybe) has been diagnosed with stage 4 Lymphoma, but haven't heard they type. She is older though, 84 now.

    I truly hope you are doing O.K., I will be praying for you!!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete